This Schoolio Special Interest Unit focuses on Managing Emotions for children. In this 58-page unit your child will learn about a variety of healthy emotional management strategies and how to handle the inevitable “Big Feelings” we all experience.
This unit covers:
- Why it is important to take care of our minds the way we take care of our bodies;
- Naming and describing common “unhelpful thoughts” that lead us down thought paths that make us less happy and more inclined to struggle with emotional management;
- Realistic thinking: what it is and how can we accomplish it in times of high emotion?;
- A “Detective Thinking” activity, where students work to uncover the unhelpful thoughts at play in common scenarios;
- The S.T.O.P.P. strategy for regaining control and assessing the situation when your emotions are high;
- Management tools for “Runaway Thoughts” and how to take control over your reactions to situations where your emotions are high;
- Which things in life are within our control and which are outside of our control, and how to make positive and helpful choices when we feel overwhelmed;
- Calming strategies for when we need to gather ourselves and regain control of our emotions, including tips for parents to create a “Quiet Space” for their children.
- A mindfulness exercise to introduce children to this strategy of relaxation and focus.
We hope you find this unit valuable for you and your child(ren) to learn some helpful strategies for naming, calming, and managing big emotions.
*Please note that this unit is brought to you by our Schoolio team of writers, and while we take research and content accuracy seriously, we are not mental or medical health experts. This unit is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be regarded as medical advice or used as a substitute for professional medical advice.