It’s Time To Make Some Summer Memories.
Are your kids excited for summer break? Mine always get so psyched when they’ve finished the last of their school work and they then get to enjoy all the wonderful moments that summer break holds for them. It always seems like when summer break begins, we have this hugely optimistic attitude that we’ll do all the things (or maybe just I do). Like fishing, swimming, painting, water fights, parks, house projects and so on. There’re just so many fun summer activities I want to do with my kids.
But I always find myself scratching my head in September when summer break has faded away, and I’m feeling the cooler weather on my skin. I then realize we didn’t get as much done or make all those precious memories that I thought we would. It always hits me that I only have so long with my kids before they grow up and fly away from this nest. Then all I’ll have left are the memories. Sorry, I just went sad on you! Don’t worry though, this blog isn’t supposed to be depressing! This blog is going to give you some super cheap, memorable, doable, fun summer activities to do with your kids this summer.
I’m so excited to share this list with you, and I truly hope that you are able to pick a few of these activities to do with your littles this summer. So, here is the joy-filled, fun summer activities list by Schoolio. Having fun doesn’t have to be expensive, and you don’t even have to leave your neighbourhood. There is so much fun to be had right in your own backyard!
Fun summer activities coming right up!
- Camp in your yard! This year (where we live) it was incredibly hard to book into a campsite. There were so many people waiting to book a camping spot as soon as they were available. But hey, you don’t need one! Camp in your yard! You can set a tent up in the yard and spend the night resting under the stars together. And, the best part is: It’s way better than real camping because your house is legit right there. Unless, you secretly enjoy the ‘no shower or toilets’ kind of life.
- Make a Bird Feeder together. Making a bird feeder is actually way simpler than you’d think. Here’s an excellent resource for DIY Bird Feeder’s that you can make with your kids!
- Make a fun Obstacle Course in the backyard. Don’t be intimidated by this. It doesn’t have to be complicated! You can make an obstacle course with hula hoops, jumping ropes, hoses, pillows, stones, chalk paint. Have your kids run around the obstacle course and see who has the fastest time! Whoever has the fastest time gets to choose the first popsicle?
- Teach your kids some cooking skills! Rainy day? No problem! Have fun in the kitchen with your kids, show them how to make a delicious grilled cheese, or scrambled eggs. They’ll love this activity because they’ll be proud of their finished product, and get to eat it at the end!
- Have a picnic. It would be nice to go to a pretty park for your picnic. But if you just can’t, pick a destination near home. Maybe the front yard? The balcony? The lawn chairs? The garden? There’re so many places that you can choose from!
- Paint and create outside. Do you struggle with arts and crafts time? You aren’t the only parent who does. It just can get so messy, so quick! So, take that fun outside. Let them paint and decorate a cardboard box outside or even a rock! Encourage them to use their imagination. Engage with them while they create, “what are you turning it into?” Let them have fun with different colours and even glitter (see, if it’s outside you don’t have to clean it up).
- Try fishing for fun. Fishing, something that has entertained children since the beginning of time. Get a fishing licence and dedicate 1 evening a week in the summer to spending on the docks fishing with your child. Even if you don’t catch something, it’s the quality time that matters most.
- Make a slip and slide. Those hot summer days would just be so much better with a slip and slide. And it doesn’t have to be complicated at all. All you need is a tarp, a hose, and some dish soap. Your kids will have hours of fun!
- Spend time exploring together. In the evening you can try to catch lightning bugs together. During the day you can go on hikes and see if you can find any monarch caterpillars. There’re so many things to be learned, so much to explore and so much fun to be had in nature. So, get outside!
- Check out a Schoolio Special Interest Unit like ‘Honeybees’ this summer. Learn a little extra while doing hands on activities and having fun together. The sky is really the limit! There’s just so much to learn, and so much fun to be had! Click Here For Schoolio Special Interest Unit
What Fun Summer Activities Do You Have Planned?
Remember, whatever you decide to do, remember to have fun! That’s the only prerequisite. Your kids are going to look back on this summer and remember all the fun they had with you. Prepare to start filling the happy, life-long, memory bank!